Danaher Corporation Technician II, Chemical - 2nd Shift - Hach - Ames, IA in Ames, Iowa
Danaher Company Description
Hach is a world leader in the manufacture and distribution of analytical instruments, test kits and reagents for testing the quality of water, aqueous solutions and air. Our products are designed specifically for quality, accuracy, and simplicity. Strengthened by our sister companies in the environmental industry worldwide, our goal for the future is to continue to provide customers with reliable instrumentation, accurately prepared reagents, proven methods, simplified procedures and outstanding technical support. We offer an environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. Working at Hach will provide you the opportunity for robust career development.
OUR MISSION: Ensure water quality for people around the world.
OUR VISION: We make water analysis better – faster, simpler, greener and more informative – via unsurpassed customer partnerships, the most knowledgeable experts, and reliable, easy-to-use products.
Purpose of Position:
Responsible for safely handling large quantities of chemicals during manufacturing of chemical reagents. This position does bulk reagent preparation and control per work order and according to established manufacturing procedures. Products may include solutions, powders, microbiological media, and dyes. Responsible for maintaining accurate records and inventory levels of raw materials. Has primary responsibility for product quality.
Hours of Work: Monday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 1:30am. Second shift. Overtime is required.
- Manufacture bulk solutions, powders, microbiological media and dyes.
- Use existing formularies to manufacture bulk reagents per work order.
- Operate all manufacturing equipment in a safe and productive manner.
- Perform production controls and adjust bulk reagents to meet product specifications and ensure quality. Release conforming materials to processing, packaging or stock in a timely manner.
- Maintain clean production and lab area to eliminate contamination.
- Maintain production equipment in proper working condition.
- Comply with company safety policies including safe operation of equipment, PPE usage, safe transportation and handling of bulk chemicals, hand tool safety, lock-out-tag-out, and proper storage of tools, etc. Comply with good housekeeping policies.
- Maintain accurate records
- Keep accurate production and inventory records, follow kanban process.
- Update routings, BOM's and formularies via ECO process.
- Perform production scheduling to optimize equipment usage with an emphasis on out-ofstock and coordination with packaging.
- Accurately perform required computer data entry and work order transactions (LOTS, scrap, Oracle, ARIBA, Kanban, etc.).
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities.
Education, Background and Skill Requirements:
- One-year college chemistry with lab.
- The following is the approved curriculum for positions that require 1 yr of college chemistry:
- DMACC - Chem 165-175
- ISU - Chem 163-164
- Hach Co - Approved in-house program when offered.
Other - Must be equivalent to the above listed classes.
1-year scientific production, process, or lab technician experience OR BS degree with no experience
Good laboratory technique
- Good analytical technique (use of volumetric glassware to make standard solutions, perform dilutions, and perform titrations)
- Ability to gather and analyze data
- Mechanical ability preferred
- Good math skills -(familiar with metric system and knowledge of algebra)
- General computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet
- Ability to use various types of machinery, e.g. laboratory instrumentation, jacketed reactors, filtration systems
Ability to use hand tools
Knowledge of clean room operations helpful
- Knowledge of hand tool
- Knowledge of chemical/microbiological manufacturing equipment helpful.
Possesses a working knowledge of, or possesses a thorough knowledge of good laboratory technique.
The physical demands described here in are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequentlyrequired to reach with hands and arms. The employee is constantly required to, stand/or sit, squat, turn/twist, reach, usehands to: finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls. Theemployee is occasionally required tohear, walk, climb, balance, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk, andsmell.
The employee must frequentlylift, carry, push or pull up to 20pounds and/or occasionally lift,carry, push or pull up to 50pounds.
Specific vision abilities requiredby this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheralvision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be subjected to moving mechanicalparts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, oils,extreme temperatures and work space restrictions.
Frequent/daily exposure to large quantities/volumes of hazardousand nonhazardous chemicals and micro organisms.
The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Employees will be requiredto wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which may include: eye, hearing andrespiratory protection, protective smock, steel toe shoes, gloves, hard hats,or face shields. Contact lenses may notbe allowed in some areas.
/ The duties listed in job descriptions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The purpose of this description is to assist in ADA complance and is not intended for other purposes such as collective bargaining, or compensation. /
External hiring into this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check and possible credit history review.
Hach is an equal,opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion,gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation,gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and industrial solutions. Our globally diverse team of 59,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $16.5B in revenue last year. We are ranked #133 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 2,000% over 20 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We’re innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you’ll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Job Function: Manufacturing & Operations
Primary Location: North America-North America-United States-IA-Ames
Req ID: HAC004279