Army National Guard Units (Title 32) SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER in Council Bluffs, Iowa
About the Agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community.
IOWA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD This position is restricted to current Military members of the Army National Guard. Applicant must be willing and eligible to become a Military member of the Iowa Army National Guard.
LOCATION: FMS #4, Council Bluffs, IA. NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires military membership in a compatible military assignment in the Iowa Army National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of this excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Iowa Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Iowa Army National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement. APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 08/17/2017. FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN YOUR NOT RECEIVING CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION. Please refer to the Qualifications and Evaluations Section of this Announcement to understand the qualification requirements, and the How to Apply Section for detailed instruction on applying.
As a SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER, WG-5801-8your duties are below;
- Performs limited diagnosis, routine repairs and maintenance on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. Assists higher graded mechanics in the repair and/or overhaul of major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls. Makes routine repairs that can be accomplished by removing, adjusting, or replacing defective or worn parts and components. Performs work in accordance with technical manuals, lubrication orders, maintenance bulletins, regulations or management policies.
- Performs limited diagnoses to determine the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses basic test equipment such as compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges. Determines when parts should be cleaned, adjusted or replaced with standard parts to complete work orders.
- Removes, replaces, adjusts, cleans and installs parts and components such as wheel seals, switches, sensors, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering pumps, brakes, filters, radiators, bearings, springs, shock absorbers, wheel cylinders, starter motors, mufflers, battery cables, and other items of similar complexity.
- Independently performs routine repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems using standard parts. Receives guidance and instruction from a higher graded mechanic or supervisor to perform non-routine and more complex repairs on portions of major assemblies and/or systems. May provide field maintenance at unit locations as part of a "contact team". Recovers and evacuates inoperable vehicles from the unit location of breakdown.
- Conducts limited readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc. Performs other preventive maintenance operations as required to ensure that equipment is functioning properly.
- May perform routine maintenance and limited repairs on basic communication equipment such as radios, field telephones, amplifiers, switchboards, recorders, intercoms by removing and replacing components and elements. Performs minor body and fender, or other metal repairs, using peening hammers, dollies and limited welding. Performs limited repairs and routine maintenance on small arms and accessory equipment by replacing worn or damaged parts. Makes minor repairs to canvas and leather items using bonding/sealing compounds and hand tools such as awls, canvas needles etc.
- In conjunction with or in the absence of the Tools and Parts Attendant, may maintain supply documentation, and the receipt, store, issue, and inventory of tools and parts used in the trades operation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Army National Guard members willing to become a member of the Iowa Army National Guard
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Military Rank Requirements: Enlisted
- MOS Compatibility: 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94
**In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Applicants who do not fully address the minimum/specialized experience needed for the position in their resume will not be referred for consideration.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:**Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: WG-5801-8:Must have at least* 12 monthsexperience in the following:*
- Experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs.
- Experience removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories.
- Experience which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments.
- Experience demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for this position:
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the mechanical makeup, operation, and working relationships of individual systems, and their interrelationships for a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, automotive, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
- Working knowledge of various techniques for removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts and components of combat, tactical, commercial, automotive, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
- Basic understanding of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, and other non-mechanical system theories; and skill to replace, fit, install, and adjust systems.
- Skill to use basic test equipment and ability to analyze test results to determine fault for repair or replacement of improperly functioning parts or components. Ability to use basic tools common to the occupation.
- Ability to determine when parts should be cleaned, reinstalled, or replaced with standard parts.
- Ability to read and interpret parts list, manufacturer's repair manuals, technical manuals, diagrams, engineering drawings, and schematics.
What To Expect Next
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Review our benefits
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT: Employment is subject to attaining and maintaining a secret clearance as required by this position. If the selectee does not possess the applicable security clearance when hired, application must be made within 30 days of the start date. Failure to make application for the required security clearance will result in termination of employment. Failure to complete NGB prescribed courses at the PEC for new FTS personnel within the first year of employment may be cause for reassignment or termination of FTS. ENLISTMENT CASH BONUSES: Acceptance of a technician position may affect any bonus and/or educational assistance that may be applicable. Please contact your Education Office prior to accepting a position with the Iowa Army National Guard. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472387400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-06-16 to 2017-08-17
Salary: $19.66 to $22.96 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 8
Series: 5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: IA-10019024-AR-17-154
Control number: 472387400