Iowa State University Carpenter in Ames, Iowa
Required Minimum Quals:• Four years of experience in the trade, including apprenticeship.
Preferred Qualifications:Certified in Asbestos Abatement or the ability to become certified within 6 months of hire.Graduation from technical school or related program.Ability to read and analyze blue prints.Basic computer experience.
Job Description:Job Description:
Under general supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the level of a journeyworker to build and repair wooden and related structures, and performs other duties related or incidental thereto.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Constructs, installs, and repairs cabinets, doors, windows, screens, shades, blinds, furniture, seats, laminate materials and other components not available from commercial sources. • Constructs walls, ceilings and floors. Frames and installs doors and windows; insulates walls and performs demolition work as necessary. • Estimates, measures, fabricates and cuts metals for associated jobs using precision leveling equipment. Design and fabricate necessary metal and wood projects that do not necessarily have a planned design. Fabricate one-off pieces to include, but not limited to: brackets, hangers, supports, etc. • Lays tile, linoleum, laminates, epoxies and various other kinds of coverings on floors and other surfaces; patches, repairs or replaces work and damaged floors; installs counter tops and covers other surfaces; cuts forms and adheres coverings to various shapes and types of surface; tapes and finishes dry wall. • Installs door closures, hinges, door stops, handles, related hardware and performs minor glazing. • Performs patching, repair and rust removal work for all types of walls and surfaces to a finished stage. Full and partial removal of existing materials like door frames, cutting and final fitment of replacement parts, then surface preparation to provide smooth finished texture with tasks such as grinding, sanding, body filler and primer for final finishes and applies finishes as required. • Draws rough layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
• Prepare estimates of materials and time needed to complete assigned jobs and orders materials as needed. • Erects and disassembles ladders and related equipment. • Assembles and disassembles all supports, structure, hangers, mounts (motorized or non-motorized) for audio visual equipment installations including ergonomic workstations. May also rework existing building structure to allow for new or replacement projection screens. • Set up and tear down of office spaces. Ability to assemble and disassemble different types of modular office furniture. Includes walls (with or without power and data capabilities), doors, shelves, desks, filing cabinets, etc. Ability to recognize different manufacturers and their unique assembly requirements. • Removal of asbestos-containing materials associated with carpentry tasks, typically found in floor tile, ceiling tiles, chalk board adhesive, window glazing, and other sources. Will also assist with abatement associated with piping and other mechanic systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the carpentry trade.
• Ability to perform the full range of carpentry tasks independently.
• Ability to interpret and follow carpentry instructions and specifications such as blueprints, manuals, sketches, and work orders. • Ability to operate safely and care for carpentry tools, machines and equipment. • Knowledge of materials used in carpentry and ability to determine materials needed for the job and prepare cost estimates. • Ability to lift or maneuver up to 100 pounds. • Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade. • Ability to erect ladders and work at heights. • Knowledge and working ability of computers for planning, organizing and ordering equipment and materials. • Ability to set up and tear down audiovisual equipment. • Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques, rust removal techniques, and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
Will be required to be part of an on-call rotation that responds to after-hours emergencies.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:January 13, 2021
Posting Close Date:January 23, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R3957
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation