UnityPoint Health Dosimetrist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Medical Dosimetrist is responsible for planning the course of radiation therapy in conjunction with the Radiation Oncologist by performing precise and accurate treatment plans, dosage calculations, positioning and constructing of treatment devices. Participate in the simulation, dose computations, isodose plans, immobilization and other aspects of treatment planning for patients receiving external beam radiation therapy at the facility. The Medial Dosimetrist collaborates with all members of the Radiation Oncology Department.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Effectively collaborates with the radiation oncologists, physicists and technical staff on implementation of optimal treatment plans, including, but not limited to, plan documentation, treatment parameter verification and treatment charting.
· Acquires patient data via computer generated data sets from medical imaging devices such as CT, PET, MR, PACS etc. and incorporates this data into treatment plans, calculations and treatment devices.
· Performance or assistance with the fabrication of patient immobilization and ancillary treatment devices.
· Accurately performs dose calculations, both manual and computer generated, for treatment delivery, pertaining to, but not limited to beam modifying devices, irregular fields, gaps from adjacent fields, and off-axis calculations.
· Participates in the development of optimal treatment strategies that result in attainable radiation therapy plans including localization of tumor volumes, critical structures, and generation of isodose distributions and performance of dose calculations according to the written directive.
· Participates in special treatment procedures offered in the department. These special procedures include, but are not limited to, IORT, SRS, SBRT, and other treatment procedures.
· Accurately evaluates the information generated from radiation treatment plans such as isodose distributions, Dose Volume Histograms (DVH’s) and other data in establishing the appropriateness of the treatment plan.
· Applies knowledge of radiobiology with respect to dose tolerances, time dose fractionation calculations, hypo-fractionation, BED calculations and other application of radiobiology to the radiation therapy treatment process.
· Applies principles of ALARA to minimize exposure to patients, staff and others.
· Participates in quality management in accordance with departmental, institutional, and national quality management procedures
· Accurately transfers and documents treatment parameters either manually or electronically according to departmental policies and completes computer documentation in accordance with hospital policies.
· Participates in fiscal practices, such as charge entry/billing, in accordance with institutional policies.
· Participates in departmental meetings, charts rounds and other meetings as assigned.
· Assists with orientation, and ongoing education of new employees and students.
· Performs other duties incidental to the work described herein
· Assists with the quality assurance procedures as directed by a Qualified Medical Physicist.
· Performs or assists with the application of specific methods of radiation measurement including, but not limited to, diode, ion chamber, thermoluminescent dosimeter (TLD), or film measurement as directed by a Qualified Medical Physicist.
· Assists in the preparation, measurement, transportation, loading and/or removal of radioisotopes, during low dose rate (LDR), and pulsed dose rate (PDR) and high dose rate (HDR) treatments; adhering to state/federal regulations under the supervisions/direction of the licensed/authorized user, as assigned.
· Participates in physics projects, regulatory compliance tasks and assists in radiation safety tasks, as assigned
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited medical dosimetry program or AAMD certification in medical dosimetry preferred.
Minimum of two years proven experience as a Medical Radiation Dosimetrist.
Registered in Radiologic Technology and/or Radiation Therapy. ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) certification preferred.
Minimum of 2 years on-the-job training in a radiation therapy department.
Knowledgeable of 3D Treatment Planning, Isodose Planning, Irregular Field dose calculations and simple dose calculations. Knowledge of IMRT Treatment Planning, SBRT, SRS, VMAT/Rapid Arc, DIBH and CT Simulation.
Working knowledge of Varian TrueBeam linear accelerator, HDR preferred.
ARIA, Eclipse, Velocity, OSMS, Rad Calc and Epic experience, preferred
Certified in Medical Dosimetry (MDCB) preferred or must obtain at earliest eligibility.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must obtain and hold valid Iowa state license.
Ability to perform 3D Treatment Planning, Isodose Planning, Irregular Field dose calculations and simple dose calculations. Ability to complete IMRT, SBRT, SRS treatment plans. Knowledge with VMAT/Rapid Arc, DIBH and CT Simulation.
ARIA, Eclipse, Velocity, OSMS, Rad Calc and Epic experience.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-79288
Street: 202 10th St SE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Full Time Flexible Schedule
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org