UnityPoint Health Interpreter-East Des Moines Clinic in Des Moines, Iowa
Full Time Benefits
To provide for the communication needs of patients who have Limited English Proficiency (LEP).
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Provide accurate and effective interpretation of procedures and other interactions for non-English speaking patients (adults & children), their families and health system staff while maintaining confidentiality of information.
· Provide accurate and effective translation of all written documents used by patients and family members.
· Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse professional, educational, cultural and lifestyle backgrounds.
· May serve other departments as assigned.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office
· Collaborate with physicians in the coordination of care of the patient.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School diploma or equivalent is required.
· Medical Terminology Course must be completed within 90 days of employment.
· A minimum of one-year experience as interpreter and/or translator in a medical setting is preferred.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Must pass verbal interpreting test as administered by employer.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Creative thinking; analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities; self-direction; theoretical implementation and evaluation.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to work as a team member.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-96650
Street: 840 E University Ave
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Fam Med- East DM- DM
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 8-5pm Monday-Friday
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org