Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines Lead Capital Markets Analyst in Des Moines, Iowa
Lead Capital Markets Analyst
Des Moines, IA
27 Portfolio Strategy
Lead Capital Markets Analyst
The Portfolio Strategy Group is responsible for the development of financial strategy and the management of the Bank’s balance sheet. As a Lead Capital Markets Analyst, the incumbent will project and attribute the drivers of long term income for the Bank and perform related quantitative analysis and reporting functions. This is a high profile position offering unique access to Bank decision makers and the opportunity to learn comprehensively about the drivers of the Bank’s balance sheet and earnings.
• Project and attribute the drivers of long term income for the Bank under deterministic scenarios; perform related quantitative analysis and reporting functions using QRM; contribute to the Bank’s monthly ALCO reporting, quarterly dividend determination and annual strategic business plan processes.
• Perform balance sheet analysis and reporting on the Bank’s mortgage and core portfolios. Understand and communicate the drivers of change in the risk profile and how they impact the Bank’s profitability, funding and hedging strategies; project, report and explain changes in match between mortgage loan portfolio assets and allocated funding.
• Perform peer analyses and research the activities of other Federal Home Loan Banks.
• Contribute to core bank analytic processes including liquidity, maturity gaps, short & long term income, interest rate risk management, liability management, derivatives usage, advances pricing, dividend strategy, etc.
• Conduct research, analysis and/or otherwise enhance the Bank’s ability to manage the balance sheet optimally using informed, quantitative approaches.
• Develop, maintain and enhance committee reports for various management and Board committees on topics such as portfolio management, asset liability management, LIBOR transition, mortgage loan origination, debt issuance, liquidity management, advances pricing, etc.
• Support the timely execution of Bank-wide initiatives such as new system, data warehouse implementations, LIBOR transition, etc.
• Conduct investment modeling, hedging and/or funding analyses.
• Review daily model output and group reporting for accuracy and quality control.
• Provide quantitative guidance on approaches for other departmental tasks such as advance prepayment analysis, mortgage loan pricing or ad hoc requests.
• Manage departmental internal controls and regulatory issues.
• Advanced degree (Masters) in finance, economics, mathematics, statistics or other quantitative /computing fields.
• Strong analytical and computer competency in Access, Excel, Word. The ability to write macros and to script queries in SQL is required. At least 2-years demonstrated proficiency running QRM or alternative income projection software is required; proficiency in capital markets analytic tools such as Polypaths, Principia, Yieldbook, Aladdin, etc. preferred.
• At least 5 years of applicable experience in financial analysis & reporting dealing with complex financial instruments, especially mortgages, derivatives, balance sheet management, etc. or compensating factors such as specialized quantitative training and/ or completion of a PHD combined with at least three years of experience in a capital markets setting.
• Detail-oriented with strong oral and written communication skills.
• Familiarity with the mission and capital markets activities of the Federal Home Loan Bank System is preferred.
• CFA charter holder or similar certification preferred.