UnityPoint Health Nurse Practitioner-Wound Healing Center in Des Moines, Iowa
The Nurse Practitioner delivers primary and specialty care with a high degree of expertise within the specialties of adult and pediatric Wound management by formulating a plan based on assessment, examination, and selected diagnostic procedures within her/his scope of practice. The Nurse Practitioner also provides leadership for the health care team by collaborating with the physicians and the Wound care team. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, quality patient/family care, application of current wound care standards and principles incorporating the highest level of satisfaction from patients and families.
The Wound Healing Center is an outpatient department that specializes in care of patients with acute and chronic wounds and ostomy care. The Wound Healing Center’s mission is to provide a comprehensive, cost effective approach to wound healing through the use of a multi-specialty team that provides for the accurate diagnosis, appropriate treatment, prevention/reoccurrence of wounds, and the education of the patient and caregiver.
· Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psycho/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area.
· Establish a database of information on the client by:
o obtaining a health history;
o conducting a basic periodic physical assessment using appropriate tools;
o ordering appropriate screening and/or routine diagnostic test;
o assess patient and wound(s) and follows the wound progress according to the policies and procedures as set forward in the Wound Healing Center
· Assess status of the client and wounds/ostomy by:
o discriminating between normal and abnormal physical findings;
o recognizing deviations from standard wound healing progress
· Manage client care by:
o providing routine assessment and evaluation of the patient and wounds and/or ostomy
o providing for treatment and utilizing wound guidelines developed by AHRQ and the WHC;
o assisting other members of the wound care team with recommendations, adjustments and therapies in care plans as needed
o participating in and when appropriate continuing health care plans involving the patients, patient’s family, and other resource personnel.
o Providing routine assessment and evaluation of the patient with an ostomy and or preoperative marking.
· Is competent in performing procedures specific to the service line.
· Coordinates care when indicated with outside sources including lab, x-ray, private health care providers, social workers, and public health.
· Maintains current knowledge of emergency medical procedures and responds appropriately.
· Assists patients with activities of daily living.
· Responds to patient needs in a timely manner
· Assists and provides with simple and complex procedures as needed and dictated by wound status; i.e., evaluation of wounds, debridement,, removal of dressings, sutures and those procedures and treatments required to enhance the wound toward healing
· Takes and records vital signs and weights.
· Assists in maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
· Utilizes a holistic approach (considering bio-psychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Obtains accurate and adequate specimens; labels all specimens in accordance with standards.
· Assist in unit specific duties i.e. management responsibilities, as appropriate to the assigned area.
· Act as a resource person for other staff and personnel with which clients have contact.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
· Balances team and individual responsibilities, objective and open to other’s views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to positive team goals, puts success of team above own interest.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Models professional activities such as continuing education, participation in professional organizations, certification, evidence-based practice, book or journal clubs, etc,
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Education: Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program in area of specialty. Master’s degree or demonstrating active progress toward attainment of Master’s degree. Prefer Wound & Ostomy education through the WOCN society or demonstrate active plan to complete education through the WOCN society within one year of hire.
Experience: Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Must be able to effectively deal with diverse client population and community partners. Prefer minimum of one year experience in area of specialty.
License(s)/Certification(s): Current licensure as RN and ARNP in the State of Iowa. Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons. Prefer CWON certification or complete certification within one year of Wound & Ostomy education program.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Multicultural sensitivity. Microsoft Office – basic computer skills. Customer/patient focused. Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Requisition ID: 2020-85622
Street: 1215 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Wound Care Methodist - Provide
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 8:00-4:30pm Mon-Fri, Time can vary depending on needs of the center
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org