UnityPoint Health Registered Nurse Hospice-Taylor House in Des Moines, Iowa
**$5,000 Sign on bonus, only for external applicants.
UnityPoint At Home
Full Time Benefits
The Hospice Registered Nurse plans, organizes and directs home hospice care services, initiates, and implements care primarily in the patient’s home environment or hospice inpatient unit setting. The Hospice RN fulfills the role of skilled communicator, educator, leader and motivator. The Hospice RN ensures that high standards of patient care are met at all times.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Ensures compassionate, empathetic quality and safe delivery of services to patients according to care plan. Uses equipment and supplies safely, effectively, and efficiently.
· Consistently utilizes a patient-centered approach considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served in hospice.
· Integrates and coordinates the care of the at-risk population across the healthcare continuum making assessments, planning interventions working closely with providers and overall patient care team.
· Facilitates the interdisciplinary plan of care to meet multiple service needs as well as promote continuity through elimination of fragmentation of care/service
· Delivers quality care consistent with Hospice Conditions of Participation, qualifying hospice criteria, payer coverage criteria, and providing visits/treatments consistent with the plan of care to honor patient/ family values/ wishes
· Conducts clinical review of record to include multi-disciplinary review, coordination of care, provided in conjunction with visits and documentation.
· Identifies risk for acute hospitalization and proactively prevents adverse events.
· Responsible for looking at the individual needs of each hospice order/referral and determining eligibility for hospice services and appropriate level of care.
· Assist with implementation and coordination of services required for discharge of patients from hospitals into Hospice’s program of care
· Responsible for coordinating the patient care team in providing quality, cost effective patient care in the hospice environment
· Promotes the provision of comfort care to the dying as an active, desirable, and integral component of nursing care in the home and inpatient unit.
· Uses scientifically based standardized tools to assess symptoms (eg., pain, dyspnea, constipation, anxiety, nausea/vomiting, and altered cognition) that are expected by patients at the end of life.
· Collaborates effectively with patients, families, and other members of the Interdisciplinary Team to develop an individualized plan of care to attain specific goals and outcomes.
· Utilizes effective teaching and learning strategies when providing hospice education for patients, families, colleagues, and community.
· Coordinates regular scheduled intermittent visits to patient’s home environment, coordinates level of care changes when appropriate to pain/ symptom management, assesses and implements increased frequency of visits when patient condition warrants
· Participates in on call schedule to provide 24 hour coverage- makes emergency unscheduled visits during on call hours
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of State Board approved program for Registered Nurses and valid license as a Registered Nurse.
· Masters education in health related field.
· BSN or BS in health related field.
· Minimum 1 year recent clinical experience in medical/surgical, oncology, or long term care nursing
· Has experience in or demonstrates knowledge of nursing care for patients with life-limiting illness
· Previous home care or hospice experience
· Valid license as a Registered Nurse
Valid licensed driver with automobile insurance in accordance with state and/or organizational requirements. *Only applies to outpatient RN’s
Valid Mandatory Reporter course completion by state(s) requirement
Computer skills necessary
· Achieve certification in Integrated Care Management within 1 year of hire. Certification includes completing the Integrated Care Management formal training session, successfully completing assigned computer based-learning modules within 2 weeks of training, and a competency evaluation. Use the Integrated Care Management philosophy, skills, tools and documentation in clinical practice. Demonstrate competency in selected ICM skills annually.
· CHPN preferred
· Skilled in coping with family’s emotional stress
· Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
· Computer/key board proficiency
Requisition ID: 2021-98346
Street: 3401 E Douglas
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: SN Visits- IPU- DM
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Fri/Sat nights 11p-7a
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org