UnityPoint Health Safety & Security Officer in Des Moines, Iowa
The Certified Public Safety Officer is to provide a safe and secure environment for all of UnityPoint – Des Moines properties. Provides input in developing security procedures, which address the day to day physical security needs of UnityPoint – Des Moines. The Public Safety Officer will assist with patients, visitors, and staff as needed or requested. The Public Safety Officer responds to emergency and routine requests including all internal 911 calls for service. The Public Safety Officer documents relevant calls, conducts investigations as appropriate, monitor’s security cameras, and other equipment as directed. Consistently utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, Psyche/Social, spiritual, educational, safety and related criteria), appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. Successful completion of these duties on a regular basis contributes to the UnityPoint – Des Moines goal of quality patient care, also helping to provide for a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, and staff.
· Applies all legal, ethical, and compliance related regulations to each situation ensuring UnityPoint – Des Moines policy and procedures are carried out in accordance with above standards.
· Manages time and prioritizes workload to meet the needs of the organization ensuring patient, team members, and visitors safety is a top priority.
· Demonstrates and maintains proficiency in all areas of the required job duties. Attends required training, education, and recertification’s in order to maintain the highest level of professional standards for Public Safety.
· Completes required reports and documentation of all events that impact the normal flow of hospital operations, or violations of hospital policy/procedures, as well as any unsafe work practices.
· Applies standard patrol practices that ensure all interior as well as exterior campuses are monitored and routinely checked for safety and security related issues. Alerts appropriate personnel to variations that are deemed unsafe or need immediate follow up.
· Maintains constant communication with Emergency Communications Center and Public Safety Charge Officer throughout the shift as required.
· Demonstrates effective decision-making skills within short time parameters.
Preferred or Specialized
· High school education or equivalent required.
· Must be able to read, write, comprehend and speak fluent English.
· Preferred degree in Criminal Justice, Fire, or Emergency Medical background.
· EMT/fire fighter, military, law enforcement or medical background preferred.
· Customer service or public relations experience preferred.
· Computer knowledge and typing skills required.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Must be certified in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), a candidate will complete the course during the first six (6) months of employment.
· Must be certified in the Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), a candidate will complete the course during the first six (6) months of employment.
· Must be certified in “Management of Aggressive Behavior” (MOAB) course, a candidate will complete the course during the first six (6) months of employment.
· Must be certified in ASP and Handcuffs course, a candidate will complete the course during the first six (6) months of employment.
· Must be certified in Pepper Spray or OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) course, a candidate will complete the course during the first six (6) months of employment.
· This position requires that non-certified Officers must successfully pass the “Basic Officer Training Course” through the International Association of Healthcare Safety and Security (IAHSS) during the first six (6) months of employment.
· Must have basic knowledge of the law
· Ability to communicate openly and effectively with diverse community members
· Ability to handle multiple situations at once in a calm and productive manner
· Knowledge of hospital policy/procedures
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-78793
Street: 1423 High St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Safety & Security
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: To be determined; likely evenings 2:30-10:30pm but subject to change - 40+ hrs/wk
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org