UnityPoint Health Registered Nurse-Surgery in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge, IA
Monday-Friday 7-3 with rotating call
Full Time Benefits
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients and their families. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health with in the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare providers and hold them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of State Board approved program for Licensed Practical Nurse. Willing to continue formal and informal education related to Palliative Medicine
Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience, Home Health Care, Hospice, or nursing faciltiy exeperince preferred or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Iowa.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS), refer to Job Description Addendum
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Strong Interpersonal skills.
Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2020-80370
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday 7a-3p with varying call
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org