Cretex Quality Control Technician in Humboldt, Iowa
Forterra is a leading manufacturer of pipe and products in the U.S. and Eastern Canada for a variety of water-related infrastructure applications, including water transmission, distribution and drainage. The company generated pro forma net sales of $1.5 billion in 2019. Based in Irving, Texas, Forterra employs more than 5000 people and operates more than 85 facilities, with products available throughout the U.S. and Eastern Canada.
We are currently recruiting for a Quality Control Technician to join our Humboldt IA team. The QC Tech will be responsible to ensure concrete products produced meet ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials), local industry, customer and company specifications as instructed by Plant Manager.
- Oversee all concrete testing on required mix designs (Air, Slump Temp, Unit Weight, Cylinders, etc...) and ensure they are properly documented and reported.
- Record and maintain cylinder break records in accordance to quality control manual, PCI, and ACPA requirements
- Inspect raw materials and fresh concrete while batching and after testing to confirm concrete qualities meet the finished product specifications and the Plant Manager's expectations
- Insure proper mix designs are programmed and used for each product type.
- Take corrective action with concrete mix design, production equipment settings or other processes as approved by Plant Manager to ensure finished product will meet specifications
- Operate and maintain all quality equipment according to manuals and as instructed by the Plant Manager
- Maintain documentation verifying that production and testing equipment has been properly and accurately calibrated in accordance with local standards.
- Perform random inspection and documentation of wire cage fabrication
- Perform pre-pour and post-pour inspections as outlined by the plant manager
- Perform go-no-go inspections on pipe machine and dry cast pipe as outlined by the Plant Manager.
- Perform three edge-bearing tests and product dimensional inspections per ACPA requirements.
- Perform random inspections of loads leaving plant to meet accuracy and quality criteria.
- Hold monthly quality control training meetings and maintain personnel training records.
- Work closely with Batch Plant Operator, Lead Men and crews.
- Regular timely attendance to meet company needs in an efficient and effective manner.
- Performs special projects or assignments as directed.
- Three plus years' experience.
- Two-year technical degree preferred.
- Operation and adjustment knowledge of all batching related equipment for concrete production.
- Ability to read and understand production drawings and engineered prints.
- Verbal and written communication skills understandable by the crew and the plant supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose mechanical malfunctions and make adjustments and/or basic repairs to equipment to produce concrete that meets specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply information from manuals, equipment drawings and Plant Managers instructions for equipment operation and maintenance.
- Mathematical ability to calculate mixing proportions and quantities required for filling molds.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Strong communication and leadership skills, and able to provide instruction and/or constructive criticism professionally.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Certified Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I.
Our employees are critical to our overall success. We are dedicated to investing in the future of our employees to maintain long-term relationships for lasting commitments. We offer an excellent compensation package that includes: competitive pay, vacation, ten paid holidays, 401k plan with company match and contribution, medical, health reimbursement account (HRA), flex plan, dental, vision, short and long-term disability and life insurance.
Forterra is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to workplace diversity. M/F/D/V - Forterra is a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Start/End Date: 12-Jan-2021 to 13-Mar-2021 (EST)
Department: Forterra Pipe & Precast-Humboldt IA
Location: Humboldt, IA, USA
Employment Type: Full Time