Canadian National Railway Company Rail Track Maintainer in Manchester, Iowa
Rail Track Maintainer
Role: Rail Track Maintainers work as key members of a crew inspecting, repairing and replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts. To learn more about the job click here to view the video.
Duties and Responsibilities: Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes and anchors.
- Prepare, use and maintain various common and specialized hand tools for assigned work.
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge.
- Install and repair street crossings and railroad crossings.
- Assist in the replacement or repair of items such as power-operated switches and insulated joints.
- Unload or assist in unloading ballasts, as well as unload and distribute track material.
- Sort used track material for loading (may load by hand).
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow and litter from railroad right-of-way.
- Establish and maintain drainage.
- Clean up after work completion.
Understand and comply with track safety standards, Operating Rules and Safe work procedures. Working conditions:
Walking and working on uneven terrain and surfaces
- Work shift work, as well as work away from home on various work cycles and occasional overtime.
- Work at all locations across the region.
- Work outdoors, which includes extreme weather conditions, involving physical work
- Perform repetitive physical activities during the course of a shift.
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 70 pounds.
- Frequent climbing, balancing, grasping, and good eye-hand coordination
Comply with safe work procedures and policies. Minimum requirements:
Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or GED
Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position The ideal candidate profile:
Ability to work autonomously and adapt to different situations
- Alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
Work location: Candidates must travel across the territory and work away from home for up to a week or more at a time in remote and often isolated locations.
Training: Upon hiring, candidates will attend a one week on-the-job training at the CN Campus in Homewood, IL . Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as a Rail Track Maintainer.
Union: Rail Track Maintainer is a unionized position. Wages, initiation fees, and monthly dues are required as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment
- Welding skills
- Knowledge of signals or Railroad Operating Rules
- Post secondary education
- CDL, with air brake and hazmat endorsements
- Experience operating heavy equipment and machinery
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.