Bartlett & West, Inc Practice Builder in Sioux City, Iowa
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
This position is responsible for building a profitable engineering business in specific geographic areas or expanding an office in a specific engineering specialty. The candidate in this position will focus on business development, project development and staff management responsibilities. This position requires the individual to lead high level positioning activities along with securing project opportunities while developing, expanding, and deepening client relationships for the company and growing the office.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Positioning and Client Development (40%)
- With support from the Market Leader, develops business plan for the office. Generates project/business opportunities through client contacts to meet company’s business plans, revenue expectations and growth strategies.
- Identifies project opportunities well before proposal stage, meets with potential clients and assesses go/no go criteria.
- Participates with internal Market Leaders in developing strategies for identifying future business opportunities for the geographic area. Conducts strategic research to aid the development process. Develops new strategic initiatives for building relationships and partnerships for the company.
- Reviews and analyzes market information to acquire knowledge of markets, build relationships, and bring business partners together.
- Seeks leadership opportunities and maintains a high profile in appropriate professional and community organizations.
- Stays abreast of funding sources to assist prospective and existing client’s ability to pursue major new projects.
- Attends and represents Bartlett & West at trade/industry functions as appropriate for the specific geographic location
- Establishes and maintains strong, mutually advantageous relationships with key (local, county, state and federal) agencies.
- Builds relationships with clients, peer organizations, and business associates.
- Will consult with project managers in the development of business proposals.
- Develops and implements strategies to expand existing market penetrations and enter new markets.
- Coordinates with marketing team for positioning support.
Staff recruitment and management (10%)
- Based on office business plan and working with HR, identifies, recruits, hires and retains top talent
- Manages local staff in development and production of engineering deliverables.
Project oversight and management (20%)
- Either directly or through management of local staff, manages projects including scope, schedule, fees, QA/QC, revenue, invoicing and project close-out.
Unit Financial management (10%)
- On a monthly basis, analyzes and reports on office financial performance.
Client Maintenance (10%)
- Track, develop and maintain client records in client relationship management software system. To include: contact information, touch point notes/documentation, opportunities, and estimates of effort and revenue for opportunities.
- Develops and may participate in client maintenance activities with existing and prospective clients and partners. Supports relationship building activities to develop/maintain relationships with existing and prospective clients and partners.
- Develops processes to prioritize and track success with opportunity pursuits from client lists and contacts.
- During the course of a project, leads the client feedback process and disseminates collected information to project team and client contacts.
- Plans and facilitates appropriate meetings with stakeholders (funding agencies, regulatory agencies, clients, project managers, other team members) to provide exposure and value to the client.
Mentoring/Coaching & Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Develop and deepens working relationships with project managers and senior management within the company.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Results focused
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Relationship building
- Client management
- Financial Acumen
- Customer focused (internal and external)
- Presentation skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Decision Making
- Ability to lead, manage, train, and mentor others
- Exhibits highly developed traits for; initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership
- Planning/Organizing/Project Management
- Conflict management/resolution
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite with ability to learn other software programs as necessary
Bachelor’s Degree required in Engineering.
Minimum of 10years of experience in design and business development.Minimum of 7 years of progressive supervisory/staff management preferred, 5 years required. Demonstrated ability to develop business resulting in profitable sales and revenue.
Limited travel beyond the geographic boundaries of the office location. Some travel required to corporate headquarters and other office location. 10-15%
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Company: Bartlett & West, Inc.
Job ID: 2018-1468
FLSA Status: Exempt
Service Group: MOS - Local Government
# of Openings: 1