UnityPoint Health Supervisor Referral Center - Waterloo/Ft. Dodge in Waterloo, Iowa
Supervisor Referral Center
Waterloo & Fort Dodge Regions
1.0 FTE, M-F Daytime hours
The Referral Center Supervisor is responsible for the coordination of day-to-day operations within the specific regions that they are assigned, and monitoring the activities of all office operational components to ensure the department meets its objectives. The Referral Center Supervisor reports directly to Referral Center Manager and advises and seeks consent from the organizations leadership team to coordinate and manage the activities in the department.
Operations & Staff Management
· Understand and be able to clearly articulate the vision and value for referral management and the centralized referral center
· Understand, embrace, and educate on superior levels of customer service and issues resolution to be able to provide a high level of support to our providers, staff, and patients.
· Collaborate with UPC Operational leaders to establish and maintain open communication between the referral centers and the supported clinics leaders, providers and clinic staff to foster an environment of openness, trust and teamwork.
· Acts as a liaison between UnityPoint and all (internal and external) referral sources.
· Responsible for performance management and staff development processes by maintaining appropriate training and educational resources for the referral management team members and clinic staff.
· Provide exceptional service to clinic leaders and team members, prioritizing patient care and customer service.
· Resolve customer (clinic partner, team member, patient, etc.) complaints timely and respectfully, while always managing up our team members, regardless of where the mistake originated.
· Coordinate with fellow Referral Center Supervisors to identify best practices from each region and work to implement and standardize those best practices across all regions (as appropriate).
· Collaborate with UPC Operational leaders to maintain open communication between the referral centers and the supported clinics leaders, providers and clinic staff.
· Responsible for hiring, evaluation and training development of referral specialists, in partnership with the Referral Center Manager.
· Possess in-depth knowledge of and provide operational support for tasks and job functions performed in areas of responsibility, including protocols, processes, policies and procedures.
· First line decision maker with respect to employee relations situations; informing manager of all employee situations and partnering with appropriate leadership on high level employee situations.
· Follow protocols and policies in decision making.
· Seek guidance from Referral Center Manager and other leaders as needed.
· Aware of what is happening in the department and the organization by attending department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site. Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Create a culture of innovation, learning, teamwork and professional practice, consistent with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
· Directly manages Referral Specialists as assigned.
· Responsible for recruitment of top talent and meet program needs with a customer focused mentality.
· Ensures all team members are oriented and properly trained.
· Implements effective performance management and staff development processes.
· Establishes effective mechanisms of communication with staff and key stakeholders to foster an environment of openness, trust and teamwork.
· Assists in the annual budget process.
· Analyzes and requests staff expenditures within budget parameters
· Provide leadership and direction that ensures top of licensure duties for referral management team members.
Continuous Process Improvement
· Work with cross-functional departments to develop and maintain a referral productivity model to monitor work queue and user level productivity.
· Coordinate with Ambulatory Informatics on continuous process improvement opportunities related to EHR-related issues.
· Identify opportunities for improved communications and processes with clinics, partners and patients, to ensure high quality service and consistent outcomes.
· Maintains current knowledge of payer specific requirements of prior authorizations by attending virtual workshops, researching and reading newsletters to work to create a more effective future process for obtaining prior-authorizations.
· Create a culture of innovation to push the envelope in all aspects regarding referral management.
· Partner with UP staff and providers to identify obstacles to performance improvement and assigns resources to address them as appropriate.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s degree RN/LPN/CMA or combination of education and experience required
Business and/or health care management degree preferred.
2-3 years clinic operations experience preferred.
Prior leadership experience
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to take initiative and exercise independent judgment, decision-making and problem-solving expertise.
· Knowledge of personnel administration and patient relation principles.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Preferred knowledge and experience with process improvement.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-88499
Street: 2413 W Ridgeway
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Referral and Prior Auth Mgmt
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday - Friday 1st shift
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org